*16 SPORTS ACTIVITIES THAT ENGAGE YOUTHS THAT NO LONGER HAVE COVERAGE AS IT USE TO BE*
By Uwagboe Ogieva
31st July, 2021
No doubt, sports, competitions and entertainments helps a lot in development of children and young people in any society. There are physical health benefits of sports. Lots of athletes have been doing so well academically because of their engagements in sports. Sports teach teamwork and problem-solving skills. It boost self-esteem and reduce pressure and stress.
There have been a detelioration in many sports activities among youths or young people in Edo state and Nigeria as a whole in recent times. This have reflected in gross juvenile delinquencies and high rate of crime among youths across the country.
Many youths who are not academically prosperous could take advantage of sports activities to develop their talents and become useful to the society. Belllow are some sport activities that no longer have coverage as it use to be:
(1) Boys brigade / Man no war
(2) Boys scout/ girls scout
(3) Oba's sports competition in ogbe stadium (Edo state)
(4) Inter house sports
(5) Street football/games competitions
(6) Inter - secondary school sports competitions
(7) Quiz competitions (primary and secondary schs)
(8) Enviromental sanitation (compound and street cleaning including in schools)
(9) Bycicle sports competition (riding from state to state)
(10) Inter - states beauty/cultural contest
(11) Awards/sponsorship of best students, best talent, best creativity, most punctual student and pupils
(12) States football clubs, like bendel insurance, Eyimba, Rangers, Kano Pillars, etc
Bellow are some sports activities that could enhance mental and physical health of youths if encourage:
(13) Include best musical talents among students and pupils
(14) Include best cultural, historic and language competitions, quiz and games
(15) Include all disabled children (age 12 to 30) competitions, quiz and games
(16) Include all villages and towns wrestling competitions
Young people from villages, towns and cities, professionals or not, often unemployed, have all means to join and reinforce efforts, raise brave torch of energy, talents and creativitities that can illuminates the way in which the country is decided and develop.
They must be included, if not, at the forefront of global change and innovation. If empowered including in sports, they can be key agents for development and patriotic law abiding citizens.
Any successful country or nation do ensure young people have every opportunity to participate fully in the lives of their societies. Sports activities must and should be revive in Nigeria to keep youths active, viable and responsible to themselves and to the country.
No one is born a good citizen; no nation is born a democracy, rather, both are processes that continue to evolve over a lifetime. Young people must be included from birth because a society that cuts off from its youths severs its lifeline.
Engage, encourage and empower youths to build the future through various spots activities. Every great nation of this world develop via investing on their youths.
Uwagboe Ogieva is freelance writer, author and publisher. Licensed and certified software engineer. The creator of *Edocrative* which is the study and application of science and technology with indigenous culture, creative arts and critical thinking skills. CEO of Otedo Web App & Graphic [OWAG] Professionals Nigeria Limited.